Just a little bit about me.
My name is Emily.
I’m a university senior in western Washington studying history and German, as double majors. My focus is in central and eastern European history. History is my passion in life, above all other things. I’ve always been interested in history. My absolute favorite is Russian history, though secondary is Czech.
I’m learning languages to help learn more history, and also because I love to learn new languages to speak. I’m currently only bilingual (English & German), but hopefully in the next year I can begin learning Russian. I’ll need to know it for my Masters focus, so the sooner I start learning the better. I can read the Cyrillic alphabet at this point, but not actual words. After that I’m going to try to learn Czech and Polish.
I love antiquing (going shopping), it’s one of the things I always used to do with my grandma. It’s a fun little hobby, and I love the neat little trinkets you can find, especially when you aren’t expecting to. I also love collecting books, of which I’ve found several great ones at antique or old book stores. My book collection is my pride and joy, though I can’t actually say how many I have anymore.
Random facts about me:
- Green Bay Packers fan
- Brett Favre (4) & Donald Driver (80) – my favorite football players
- War and Peace is my favorite book
- Star Trek (TOS) & Star Wars – I love them both
- Harry Potter – I grew up with this
- Tolkien-verse – I love all of it
- Tchaikovsky – my favorite composer
- Opera – my favorites are Russian and Czech
- Lomonosov (Imperial Porcelain Factory) – I collect their figurines
- Snowboarding – every winter for 14 years
- Crocheting – 14 years
- Vegetarian – 8 years
- Calligraphy – fun hobby
Or, no doubt, the reason you’re actually here.
- Urban setting – or, I hate camping
- Slavic paganism – researching
- I use rune stones
- I’m beginning to work with tarot
- I collect religious items (such as rosaries, statues, writings, etc) from all faiths
That is the basics for now, I think. I’ll add more if/when I think of it. I’ll also be updating it when things change, or I learn more about myself. So this is a running log on me and my practices/interests more than the definitive final word on who I am and what my beliefs are. Hopefully this was at least partially interesting to you…and if you just skipped right to the end that’s cool too. If you have any questions for me, about me…whatever, do feel free to ask. I’m always willing to chat with people.
28 January 2013